Thursday, May 27, 2010

Do Everything unto the Lord

We chose to play outside first thing this morning since it looked like a scorcher was headed our way by afternoon. My two youngest were in the sandbox, playing or arguing over the sand and throwing it at each other. I talked to them again and they agreed on how to play "nicely".

So I finally pulled on my weeding gloves, pulled out the hedge trimmer and went to work. After getting the extension cord pulled out and plugged in I start on one side of the grass when I look at both kids crying with fistfuls of sand, faces and hair covered! I think to myself "Am I not going to get any work done around here?"

That's when it hit me. Training and teaching these little ones how to respond and act IS my work! Sure, I may like the visual satisfaction of a trimmed lawn and weeded garden so I can say "see what I accomplished today!" But the daily heart issues that need to be "pruned" in my kids' heart is so much more important.

Nicole, over at Girltalk, quotes John Piper's book on Ruth which I think is so to the point.

"Everything we do in obedience to God, no matter how small, is significant. It is part of a cosmic mosaic that God is painting to display the greatness of his powers and kingdom to the world and to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places (Ephesians 3:10). A deep satisfaction of the Christian life is that we are not given over to trifles. Serving a widowed mother in law, gleaning in a field, falling in love, having a baby—for the Christian these things are connected to eternity. They are part of something so much bigger than they seem" (p. 121).
We read in Colossians 3:17 "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

So whatever you are facing today, remember that God has ordained your path. Look for the opportunities He is giving you to show grace, truth, obedience and joy through the way you interact with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment