Thursday, December 10, 2009

Down with Santa and other ponderings

I’ve pulled it together to get another entry on my blog. During the holidays, I really have to be careful about my time and I’m afraid blogging has taken a back seat.

This week started out on a much happier note (going to a birthday party). The previous Monday, my 4 yo son stood on the side of my shopping cart (which had his sister and a cart full of groceries) and tipped it over right on the floor. Thankfully all involved only suffered a few bruises. My emotions didn’t bounce back so quickly but I am so thankful to God that there were no injuries.

We finished making our Advent calendar and have been doing various activities such as making ornaments, baking cookies, eating snowman, and my favorite: picking a family member’s name and doing something special for them until Christmas without them knowing who did it.


We have also focused sometime each day to read passages about Jesus' birth and discuss why we celebrate Christmas. It is important to my husband and I to center the excitement about Christmas on the Savior and not on what kind of gifts they get. If you would like to read a helpful article discussing a Christian's perspective about Santa you can read Thabiti Anyabwile's article entitled: "Down with Santa." I would also love to hear any suggestions you have in teaching children how to respond with grace and kindness when asked "What is Santa bringing you?"

I’ve been encouraged by the various spiritual conversations I have had with our boys recently too. The other day my 4 yo said he wished he was a grown up and the older one said “I don’t because then you die.” When I explained only God knows how long we live and that’s why it’s important to accept Jesus in your heart so you can live with Him forever, he said “Mommy, can you pray that now for us?”

I’ve also been humbled and convicted. My husband graciously offered to put away all the dishes from the dishwasher. When I reached for a glass I realized they were totally all mixed up. Now instead of being grateful for his extra act of kindness, that night as I was putting away his socks and t-shirts, I decided to mix everything up. How would he like to dig under his t-shirts for his underwear or find his socks at the bottom of the drawer? Well this lasted for about 10 minutes until I was reminded of Prov. 31:12 and realized that I am certainly not doing my husband good. So I went back and re-arranged them correctly :)

I am grateful for God’s everlasting love for us and that He is patient with us. "Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, because he has come and has redeemed his people." Luke 1:68

Head on over to Home Sanctuary for Company Girl Coffee and some great reading!

7 comments:

  1. We have really strived this year to make Christ the center of our Christmas. It is so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle that He is pushed to the back. We made an advent wreath this year and have it in the middle of our table and Each time we get a Christmas card we place it in a basket. Each meal, we pull out one card and pray for that family.

    Your husband was so kind to do the dishes for you, and I understand how frustrating it can be when things aren't "done right" good for you for taking a step back and appreciating him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful your holidays sound! What a blessing to hear your children want to live with Jesus forever - words parents long to hear more than anything.

    The socks...it seems to be a universal feeling, the need to have things done "our way" and the desire to retaliate if they aren't. A couple of our student workers spent an afternoon last year decorating the office, putting up the office tree and such. One of the staff came in the next day, and basically redid everything. Neither of the students offered to help decorate this year - I can't blame them. Why can't we just graciously accept the blessing of help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad there were no major injuries with the cart accident. Yikes! Besides the Christ aspect of Christmas (and it's a big one!), I think our children sometimes need more of our time than our money (gifts). We're hoping to slow down this Christmas and just be together to celebrate the birth of our Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're using the Advent Wreath this year at our house too. We have a toy nativity set that comes out for Christmas and we do lots of reading about the meaning of Christmas. So many great opportunities to talk about Jesus and the significance of His birth, life and death!

    Thanks for sharing your excellent example of honoring your husband. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the negative. I've learned over the years to be thankful and grateful for all my husband does even if it is not the way I'd do it. Isn't it awesome they care to help us!

    Blessings,
    LydiaCate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Socks and dishes...we could also add tools and scissors :) You are such a sweet woman for redoing the socks...and wise! Can I have some of that wisdom, too?

    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The part about the dishes reminded me of a wise woman who once told me (when we were engaged) never to re-do something that your husband has done to help you. I try to remember that, although I have, on occasion, tried to teach my husband the "right" way of doing things over the years. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. About the Santa question, I've been trying to teach the boys that they get gifts from people who love them. We had an uncle here this year who kept talking about Santa, so it was more difficult to make that distinction. But I think next year I'll try to have the boys answer that their gifts come from people who love them. Ah, to have them understand that gifts are undeserved and unmerited like our salvation thru Christ...not like the gifts that come from Santa for boys and girls who behave well enough to earn them.

    ReplyDelete